Before you get started
- Make sure your paper has not been damaged in transit.
- Lay the whole mural out on the floor before starting to ensure you have all the pieces to complete your mural. Laying out the paper in this way also allows you to see how the image matches up and to check for any inconsistencies. Due to the nature of our product, ohpopsi.com cannot be held responsible for any issues once you have started hanging the wallpaper.
- In the unlikely event that a piece of your mural is missing, or the paper is damaged in any way, please call us on 0161 923 0234.
Preparing your wall
- Always ensure the wall surface is clean, dry, structurally sound, free of mildew and grease and is as smooth as possible in order to achieve the best possible results when hanging wallpaper, and for ease of removal when redecorating.
- Any holes, cracks or defects in the surface should be filled with a good quality filler, smoothed out and allowed to completely dry.
- Brush off the area to be covered with ohpopsi.com wallpaper with a stiff brush to remove all dirt and loose material.
Applying to a painted wall
For best results, painted walls should be primed (especially if the paint is old, damaged or flaking).
Applying to previously wallpapered walls
For best results, ensure that all previous paper and adhesive has been removed, fill and sand any holes where necessary to ensure a smooth, clean surface. The applying of a primer is then recommended.
Applying to wallpapered walls
Applying to already papered walls is not recommended. All wallpaper already on the wall surface should be stripped and the walls prepared accordingly, as detailed above.
Applying to drywall
For best results apply to a wall surface that has been painted with one coat of builder’s primer and one coat of latex paint (available from any good DIY store). Please note: this is typical of new construction; a wall surface that has been painted with a single coat of primer or satin or gloss paint is acceptable.
The tools you’ll need
- Water trough or bath of cold water
- Dry cloth
- Sharp knife such as a Stanley knife
- Decorator’s sheet
- Plumb line
You’re prepared and ready to get started
- Now your wall is fully prepared, use a plumb line to ensure you have a straight line to begin hanging your ohpopsi.com mural.
- Prepare an adequate sized water trough which will allow you to submerge a strip of wallpaper without bending or creasing. A bathtub works well. Cold water is suitable.
- Hanging from left to right and starting with the first piece of your wallpaper (which is numbered sequentially), work from the bottom of the drop to loosely roll up the wallpaper strip with the printed side facing inwards. Rolling up in this way will allow you to grab the top edge of the drop easily in preparation for hanging.
- Completely submerge the first piece of wallpaper in the water trough and leave for 15 seconds to activate the pre-paste adhesive.
- Remove the roll from the trough, drain off any excess water and grabbing the piece from the top edge, ‘book’ the strip by folding the top and bottom edges of the strip towards the center; paste side to paste side.
- Apply the top half of the piece to the wall, leaving the bottom of the piece booked. Make sure when positioning the first drop that you take into account whether you have added 50mm of trim around the edge when you ordered your mural.
- When satisfied with the positioning of the top half of the piece, unfold the bottom half and position into place.
- Don’t worry if you make a slight mistake. Simply reposition the paper whilst the piece is still wet, being careful not to tear or crease the paper.
- Using a damp sponge, smooth the paper downward and outwards to the edges of the paper to secure into place and to remove larger air bubbles. Smaller air bubbles should disappear by themselves as the wallpaper dries.
- If you ordered your mural with the 50mm trim, gently lift the edges and trim off any excess paper.
- Repeat the process for the next drop of wallpaper, carefully overlapping the next drop of wallpaper onto the previous drop by around 3cm in order to seamlessly match up the design.
- This overlap is NOT to be trimmed off. Please note: Because of the nature of pre-pasted wallpapers, shrinkage may occur as the wallpaper dries. To ensure that our designs match up seamlessly and to prevent gaps appearing between each drop of wallpaper, all our wallpapers are supplied with an approximate 3cm overlap to the edge of each strip of the mural.
- Once all drops have been hung, wipe away any residual ink with a soft, dry cloth to complete application. Please note: Due to printing methods, certain images may create a small amount of excess ink on the paper. Most excess will wipe away during application.
- Take a step back and feel proud of yourself.
- Now relax and enjoy your ohpopsi mural!